[sword-devel] Question about backwards compatibility and search index download-ability, especially in relation to low-cost, low-power computers (such as might be in developing countries?)

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sun Apr 7 17:28:01 MST 2019

I maintain JSword. We try to maintain backward compatibility with the lowest common denominator version of Java on devices that are up to 10 years old for computers and 5 years for mobiles. The OS version needs to be vendor supported. Android at this point is our boat anchor.

For me the most important backward compatibility is that old module continue to work. If an old module is updated then I’m not concerned with the prior version.

The other kind of compatibility is whether a frontend will work with a simple recompile with the current engine.

WRT to C++ SWORD, binary compatibility is not that important because linking is static. The interface has been backward compatible for over a decade. It still supports very old modules.

DM