[sword-devel] Question about backwards compatibility and search index download-ability, especially in relation to low-cost, low-power computers (such as might be in developing countries?)

TS outofthecube at icloud.com
Sun Apr 7 16:20:23 MST 2019

Hi,

      To put it simply, I was wondering what is Crosswire's or perhaps
Troy's position on backwards compatibility. I thought that the desired
goal, if possible, was for Sword to be able to run on as many devices as
possible. However, recently I've seen in mailing list postings or emails
that perhaps I was mistaken? It's also occurred to me that perhaps my
impression is with regards to the Sword engine only and that this does
not include front-end backwards compatibility? So, I'd appreciate some
clarity on the matter.
      In specific, I'm asking this question because in the past, I know
that organizations have made projects to create simple, low-cost
computers (such as OLPC). I know that the first gen OLPC was made around
the same time as the first iPhone and had roughly similar specs (if I'm
interpreting the specs correctly). It was the size of a small laptop,
but did not have enough processing power to play videos. This type of
computer was created for developing countries. So, if computers such as
these exist enough, then it also seems to me that they may have problems
generating search indexes the same way that the first iPhone did.
Therefore, I'm wondering if perhaps there is still a good reason for the
search indexes to be downloadable?
      On the other hand, David's post back in Feb. 16,2019, titled
"[sword-devel] ParaTExt Lite (Android OS)", contained a link to an
article about the development of ParaText Lite. This article seemed to
suggest that smartphones have penetrated even the most remote of places.
So, it makes me wonder if the situation of people (such as those in
developing countries) being stuck with old computers is perhaps not very
large? I guess I don't know either way, but since nobody here (I think?)
has brought it up and it would possibly be impacted by search indexes
download-ability, this all seems like something worthwhile to ask/talk
about.
      (Btw, it seems to me that Android would probably be the dominant
smartphone OS. I don't want to derail this post explaining "why", so it
may be sufficient enough to mention that ParaText Lite was only made for
Android OS.)
     (Also, the current gen laptop of OLPC does have enough power, I
think. I would also imagine that the current Raspberry Pi computers have
enough power as well.)

-TS

--
- Timothy