[sword-devel] A new alternate versification?

Libor Štefek libor.stefek at logis.cz
Thu Nov 22 02:41:26 MST 2018

Hi Tuomas,

I don't know almost anything about sword module internals (yet), but it
seems to me weird to have such data (versification) only hard coded.
Would it be better to have a chance to provide some kind of mapping in
module data itself? It would allow to specify, for example, a different
book order for a module, if that doesn't match standard...

If I see these two ("best fit" or "cheat"), I would probably go for
"cheat", and give up parallel view ...

Thanks for a great AndBible!

Libor

> Hi,
>
> I have created two finnish modules (FinRK and FinSTLK2017) by choosing
> "best fit" and doing then some manual
> (or sometimes scripted) changes such that it matches with that
> versification of my choice (here: German, which is
> same as Luther, but without apogrypha). It was causing some
> complaining by copyright holders, though, as my
> modules don't match 100% with their printed bibles.
>
> If you "cheat", then if you have translations opened in parallel,
> their verses don't match everywhere.
>
> Best regards,
> Tuomas
>
> to 22. marrask. 2018 klo 11.10 Libor Štefek (libor.stefek at logis.cz
> <mailto:libor.stefek at logis.cz>) kirjoitti:
>
>     Hi everybody,
>
>     it is exciting to write to this group of people behind The SWORD
>     project.
>
>     I have a quite general question. Is it so, that all predefined
>     versification schemes are currently hard coded in sword/jsword code?
>
>     I'm trying to create sword module (from OSIS xml source) for Bible
>     which is similar to Luther versification, but there are some
>     differences (order of books, different verse counts on some
>     chapters). Osis2mod -v Luther creates module successfully, but
>     complains a lot about extra verses not present in Luther
>     versification. (Bible 21, new Czech translation with
>     deuterocanonical books (Hi, Matěj and Peter))
>
>     I have tried to create my own canon_<B21>.h header and included
>     that into versification manager and then created module with this
>     non-standard versification, but this seems to be unusable with
>     standard jsword front end (I use AndBible). Looking into java code
>     ... and I see - there is versification info hard coded into java
>     code as well.
>
>     I also tried to cheat - I have run osis2mod with my own
>     versification, but then created module zip file with
>     "Versification=Luther" in .conf file. This allows AndBible app to
>     open the module, but I'm not sure about consequences of such
>     cheating ...
>
>     Is there any better way how to create Bible text sword module than
>     just to choose "best fit" predefined versification system and
>     simply ignore warnings?
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Libor Štefek

---
Tento e-mail byl zkontrolován na viry programem AVG.
http://www.avg.cz