[sword-devel] A new alternate versification?

Tuomas Airaksinen tuomas.airaksinen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 02:20:02 MST 2018

Hi,

I have created two finnish modules (FinRK and FinSTLK2017) by choosing
"best fit" and doing then some manual
(or sometimes scripted) changes such that it matches with that
versification of my choice (here: German, which is
same as Luther, but without apogrypha). It was causing some complaining by
copyright holders, though, as my
modules don't match 100% with their printed bibles.

If you "cheat", then if you have translations opened in parallel, their
verses don't match everywhere.

Best regards,
Tuomas

to 22. marrask. 2018 klo 11.10 Libor Štefek (libor.stefek at logis.cz)
kirjoitti:

> Hi everybody,
>
> it is exciting to write to this group of people behind The SWORD project.
>
> I have a quite general question. Is it so, that all predefined
> versification schemes are currently hard coded in sword/jsword code?
>
> I'm trying to create sword module (from OSIS xml source) for Bible which
> is similar to Luther versification, but there are some differences (order
> of books, different verse counts on some chapters). Osis2mod -v Luther
> creates module successfully, but complains a lot about extra verses not
> present in Luther versification. (Bible 21, new Czech translation with
> deuterocanonical books (Hi, Matěj and Peter))
>
> I have tried to create my own canon_<B21>.h header and included that into
> versification manager and then created module with this non-standard
> versification, but this seems to be unusable with standard jsword front end
> (I use AndBible). Looking into java code ... and I see - there is
> versification info hard coded into java code as well.
>
> I also tried to cheat - I have run osis2mod with my own versification, but
> then created module zip file with "Versification=Luther" in .conf file.
> This allows AndBible app to open the module, but I'm not sure about
> consequences of such cheating ...
>
> Is there any better way how to create Bible text sword module than just to
> choose "best fit" predefined versification system and simply ignore
> warnings?
>
> Regards,
>
> Libor Štefek

T: Tuomas