[sword-devel] Fwd: Bishop feature proposals

Alex DuBois wandns at gmail.com
Mon May 14 10:07:42 MST 2018

On 05/12/18 22:58, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Have you had any success compiling Bishop?  What operating system do you
> use for development?

Hi Troy, I haven't started any work on this yet. I wanted to get
feedback before I started poking around Bishop's code. I almost always
use Linux for development.

> display "Modes". The current mode, which can display up to 3 Bibles in
> parallel, I've kept the default and named "Bible".  I've added 2 new
> split screen modes which show the primary Bible text on the left and as
> you scroll it populates the right with the chosen tool. Language Assist
> places the Word Study tool on the right. Commentary Assist places the
> Commentary tool on the right.  These are the same tools as on the Verse
> Study screen, but just pull forward to the mail screen, split to the
> right side.  I wanted to make the scroll on the Word Study tool
> highlight the current word as you scrolled, in the same way the current
> verse hightlights as you scroll the Bible view.  This way, when there is
> a word I need help with, I can scroll the right side quickly until that
> word is highlighted in the verse and then I'll know that word is in view
> with it's definition on the right.

This sounds interesting, and I'd like to try it out. I suppose this is
what's in your latest release to the Play Store?

> Well, I finished the split screen view and the 3 modes, but it just
> seems a little too small in the emulator screen.  The Strong's
> definitions we use have a bunch of extraneous information (like "See
> XXXXX; See YYYYY+ZZZZZ). Which I don't think anyone ever uses.  We don't
> provide nice links for these texts, though we should.  I am sure the
> would be used more if we did.  But for now, I was thinking of trying to
> hide that info.  It might make the tool more usable in the smaller split
> screen on the right.

I agree. maybe you can make it an option under settings to hide them?

> press difficulties.  Maybe your swipe left idea might be cool to bring
> up the Word Study tool instead of splitting the screen.  That would make
> it easier to switch between the two.

I'll see what I can come up with. It might take a little while though
since I'm totally unfamiliar with Cordova.

--
Thanks,
Alex