[sword-devel] Fwd: Bishop feature proposals

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat May 12 19:58:13 MST 2018

Hi Alex,

Have you had any success compiling Bishop?  What operating system do you
use for development?

I like many of your features you list below.  I am in the middle of a
mostly failed UI experiment right now.

My primary use for Bishop is to try to make reading original languages
during my morning devotionals not a distraction from the devotional.

Showing the English/[Greek|Hebrew] parallel view, which is the default
from a clean install, is useful, but I find myself reading the English
more often then struggling through the Greek or Hebrew.  I like the
Verse Study/Word Study tool for mobile devices, which basically breaks
out the verse text word by word and gives a short definition with each
word, but I don't like to have to switch between the screens.  So, my
plan to make this more seamless  during reading was to create different
display "Modes".  The current mode, which can display up to 3 Bibles in
parallel, I've kept the default and named "Bible".  I've added 2 new
split screen modes which show the primary Bible text on the left and as
you scroll it populates the right with the chosen tool.  Language Assist
places the Word Study tool on the right.  Commentary Assist places the
Commentary tool on the right.  These are the same tools as on the Verse
Study screen, but just pull forward to the mail screen, split to the
right side.  I wanted to make the scroll on the Word Study tool
highlight the current word as you scrolled, in the same way the current
verse hightlights as you scroll the Bible view.  This way, when there is
a word I need help with, I can scroll the right side quickly until that
word is highlighted in the verse and then I'll know that word is in view
with it's definition on the right.

Well, I finished the split screen view and the 3 modes, but it just
seems a little too small in the emulator screen.  The Strong's
definitions we use have a bunch of extraneous information (like "See
XXXXX; See YYYYY+ZZZZZ). Which I don't think anyone ever uses.  We don't
provide nice links for these texts, though we should.  I am sure the
would be used more if we did.  But for now, I was thinking of trying to
hide that info.  It might make the tool more usable in the smaller split
screen on the right.

Anyway, it was all a bright idea which seems to have not worked out as
well as I had hoped.

I like your ideas you mention below.  There is a setting to increase and
decrease the font size of the entire app, so that might help your button
press difficulties.  Maybe your swipe left idea might be cool to bring
up the Word Study tool instead of splitting the screen.  That would make
it easier to switch between the two.

Let me know if you need help compiling the app and getting started.

Troy