[sword-devel] More French questions

Dominique Corbex dominique at corbex.org
Wed Jan 3 08:32:46 MST 2018

A few thoughts:

Calvin is just the label I choose for naming the v11n of French Bibles based on the Textus Receptus released in Geneva, Switzerland from 1535 till nowadays. In French, these Bibles are named 'Bibles de Genève' (Geneva Bibles). I've could have named the v11n 'Geneva', but it already exists an English Geneva Bible issued in 1560, using another v11n. John Calvin prefaced the first French Bible in 1535, then revised the full Bible in 1560, a version nicknamed 'Bible de l'Épée' or 'Bible of the Sword' in English, two good reasons among others, I think, for naming this v11n as 'Calvin'.

The Calvin v11n should include OT, NT, and optionally deuterocanonical books.

The BHS (Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia) on the other hand, besides the different book order, is an edition of the Masoretic Text of the Hebrew Bible and clearly contains OT only.

Hope it helps
-- .
domcox <dominique at corbex.org>