[sword-devel] canon.bible.xml and alternate versification questions

Michael H cmahte at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 00:28:37 MST 2018

Most newly translated Bibles do not follow the Biblica Hebreica
Stuttgartensia (BHS) versification, only use it as a reference for
describing deviations. Most newly translated Bibles are based on the WORDS
of the BHS for the Old Testament, or at least use BHS as a reference for
where they deviate from it's language.  Since the BHS is only contains only
the Old Testament, this only provides a reference for the OT.  The United
Bible Society's Greek New Testament in Masoretic Versification is the
reference versification for the new testament.

Note this only applies to translation teams using Paratext, which means
about 90-95% of current translation projects. Wycliffe Associates
(Unfolding Word) uses a reference versification "Unfolding Word" which
appears to be based on the ASV, but I haven't found an actual map from the
UW to ORG. The Unfolding Word scheme only recognizes 66 biblical books...

The file org.vrs found here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19FOO0RvoefshFdIUuQLSMt3D_DBDu1sJ

Contains the versification map of BHS and UBSGNT that is the master
reference used by Paratext, and Digital Bible Library. Note that this is
version 1.2, which was used for Paratext 7 (USFM 2.2-2.4). Paratext 8 (USFM
3) has a different Datestamp inside the file. I haven't investigated what
that means. I suspect the mapping hasn't changed, just eliminated some of
the undefined items you see in this file.

The other files without the word custom in the names are the 'standard'
versifications used for translations, and the custom files are a couple
versifications I inspected understanding specific concerns. Ethiopic is
there to understand all the Mac and Maq books (which are still a mystery to
me.)