[sword-devel] [crosswire/xiphos] Some items that could stand correction: (#890)

Tom Sullivan info at beforgiven.info
Sat Apr 21 12:22:58 MST 2018

Y'all:

I recently sent the following to the list:

**start**

It is not known to me whether this is a front end or back end issue. But
the OSIS specification shows the <a> tag for links within documents, or
presumably elsewhere. Such links show in Xiphos, but clicking on them
produces no result.

Implementation of the <a> tag would be highly useful for tables of
contents, helping the user navigate, tables of Scripture references
(common to commentaries and general books), and alphabetical indexes.

Thanks to all for the hard work.

**end quote**

I will add to that that an osisRef to osisID bookmarking would be
equally useful if there were a definitive way to mark such as not being
Scripture references.

Karl kindly took the time to analyze the issues. A demo is attached of
what he had. At the end, Karl said, "sorry. nothing i can do here. take
the problem to those who can address it."

This is a fair comment, and relates to why I sent to this list to begin
with, instead of to the Xiphos bug tracker. Other front ends have many
or all of the same problems if they use Sword (as opposed to JSword),
but I don't think anybody but Xiphos is up to Sword 1.8.1. (?)

So is it possible to get these kinds of things fixed? I address this to
any who may be able to weigh in.

Very many thanks to all.

Tom

**Quote from Karl below**

ok, i'm going to have to close this, as the mistaken artifacts you're
seeing here aren't xiphos-oriented.

my oft-repeated response to display problems in xiphos is, "xiphos
displays whatever the engine provides." all too often, what the engine
provides is just plain wrong.

i ran xiphos under the debugger and trapped it as it was constructing
the content for key /MyWSC/TheWestFake/ExtLinks, as seen in the output
of "mod2imp MyWSC".

the module contains the correct content (interpolating angle brackets to
square, to get past github's editor):

[p]Here is an external link: [/p] [p] [a
href="https://beforgiven.info"]Link to NoWhere[/a] The link above should
go to https://beforgiven.info. [/p]

that [a]...[/a] looks perfectly fine. but here's what happens, when we
peek inside with the debugger:

(gdb) p rework->str
$6 = (gchar *) 0x1a59720 "
\nHere is an external link:
\n Link to NoWhere The link above should go to https://beforgiven.info.
\n"

that's the content returned from sword. note that the [a]...[/a] link
around Link to NoWhere is ... just plain missing.

i haven't actually looked at your list display problems, to breakpoint
again and see how the OSIS filters in sword may have mangled them, but
i'm willing to bet that similar damage is being done. there has been
discussion in the past about sword's inability to produce valid output
for tables from OSIS docs, including someone who tried to find lowest
common denominator best practices to satisfy both sword- and
jsword-driven frontends, without success.

sorry. nothing i can do here. take the problem to those who can address it.

Tom Sullivan
info at BeForgiven.INFO
FAX: 815-301-2835
---------------------
Great News!
God created you, owns you and gave you commands to obey.
You have disobeyed God - as your conscience very well attests to you.
God's holiness and justice compel Him to punish you in Hell.
Jesus Christ became Man, was crucified, buried and rose from the dead
as a substitute for all who trust in Him, redeeming them from Hell.
If you repent (turn from your sin) and believe (trust) in Jesus Christ,
you will go to Heaven. Otherwise you will go to Hell.
Warning! Good works are a result, not cause, of saving trust.
More info is at www.esig.beforgiven.info
Do you believe this? Copy this signature into your email program
and use the Internet to spread the Great News every time you email.