[sword-devel] Strong's Numbers Standards

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Wed Sep 27 17:11:38 MST 2017

I’m curious whether your question is as a module creator or otherwise. Are you creating a Strong’s module or a module having Strong’s numbers?

The KJV module uses Strong’s numbers of the form G975, that is, a G or H followed by an unpadded number. That’s the current standard.

There’s a new setting for dictionary modules having keys that beginning with numbers: StrongsPadding=true|false
When it is true, it will pad a key beginning with numbers with the assumption that it follows the old logic of padded numbers.

The reason for padded numbers is that keys are sorted by a strict ascii text collation and the desire is for keys to be in numerical order.

You can use ld2imp to dump a dictionary and examine its keys.

A front end needs to normalize a search request the same as the module it is searching against.

I don’t know how SWORD does it but JSword examines an arbitrary key from the Strong’s module and establishes a pattern based upon that. It allows for keys to start with a G or H and be 0 padded or not. Then it normalizes the search request according to that pattern.

Hope this helps a bit,
DM Smith