[sword-devel] Strong's Numbers Standards

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Wed Sep 27 14:20:53 MST 2017

On 09/27/2017 03:12 AM, Michael H wrote:
> STEP suggests that leading zeros do not belong in between the letter
> and the digits.

It does? The very section you reference contains numerous examples:

|<||w| |lemma||=||"strong:H02822"||>darkness</||w||>

|On 09/27/2017 02:12 PM, Gary Holmlund wrote:
> Even if the document had suggested no zeros, we have documents
> (MLStrong, Dodson) that do have these zeros. If I have "G32" how do I
> know to change it to "G0032" to lookup in these documents?
Back in 2011, I asked a related question here in sword-devel, due to
failing to get search results from KJV.
https://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/2011-January/035709.html

The explanation was that, as a historical artifact, Hebrew refs are
prefixed with a 0 to differentiate from Greek; later, Sword started
prefixing with H/G anyhow, but the leading 0 was retained.
https://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/2011-January/035719.html