[sword-devel] OSIS Variants ?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sun Oct 15 10:35:28 MST 2017

There is no other option for the front-end.

The engine (SWORD and JSword) will only show one or the other of two variants. I’m pretty sure JSword doesn’t allow “the other”. To do otherwise means that the engine has to determine another mechanism which the front-end has to choose. Example, show a variant as a footnote or a gloss. Either one requires the engine to create markup that is not in the module.

At first JSword showed both variants without distinction and it was confusing to the end user, because there was no space between the variants. When we added spaces, it was confusing to the end user it was confusing because it did not read well. So JSword shows just the first and no choice for the second. No, it is much worse to show both.

Other problems: there is no description of the variant and there is no indication as to how many variants. So far there are only 2. And the mechanism of a variant is not a part of the OSIS specification and is a kludge in the module.

JSword will achieve parity with SWORD some day.

In Him,
	DM