[sword-devel] SWORD 1.8.0RC5 Final RC

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Wed Nov 29 08:39:29 MST 2017

On 2017-11-29, 14:23 GMT, Greg Hellings wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Cyrille wrote:
>> That's for sure, but not enough (from my point of view).
>> What's you experience of gitlab?

(I am the leader of the M2Crypto revival project hosted on
https://gitlab.com/m2crypto/m2crypto/ )

My experience is very good. There are some moments of
instability, but they are rather rare and I don't remember when
was the last time I couldn't do something because of problems
with the server.

It is true that GitHub has still more features than GitLab, but
I really don't see anything which I would be missing. It seems
to me that GitHub is firmly moving into the area of creeping
featuretitis when it adds features which are available
elsewhere, just to get better lock-in (in-GitHub Slack,
really?).

Three features which for-free GitLab has and GitHub will
probably never have:

* private projects; it could be particularly interesting for
  some of our Biblical modules, which need to be developed in
  private before shared;

* export between different GitLab hosts; not sure how well it
  works with GitLab.com, one would probably have to ask support
  for help, but the fact is that whatever data you enter into
  GitHub (aside from the code itself) is more or less forever
  locked there. I have participated in couple of efforts to move
  a project out of the GitHub and it was never good experience,
  and there was always a significant data loss.

* CI on dedicated machines; not sure if anybody cares here.

Best,

Matěj
--
http://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl<at>ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

Anger is often what pain looks like when it shows itself in public.
  -- Krista Tippett