[sword-devel] SWORD 1.8.0RC5 Final RC

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 07:23:23 MST 2017

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Cyrille <lafricain79 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 29/11/2017 à 15:04, Greg Hellings a écrit :
>

> I work for a company that's pretty well known for its dedication to Open
> Source software. We still put a huge portion of our code in GitHub. This is
> because many of us find it a technically superior product and because it
> has huge community support among the developers of the world.
>

> That's for sure, but not enough (from my point of view). What's you
> experience of gitlab?

The technical quality of the product has vastly improved since the early
days when it was a serious competitor. However, GitHub had the features
early and so the upstream, cloud-hosted versions of GitLab simply lack the
community of developers that the GitHub site has. At this point, it's not
an onerous burden to use GitLab for anything self-hosted. However, for
anyone who doesn't want to self-host a project, I see no reason to not drop
the code on GitHub simply for the community support. It's not even a
question that really gets asked internally to the company - if someone is
going to put a new project upstream it goes on GitHub. That's just the
assumption.

5 years ago, using GitLab was a painful experience as the product lacked a
huge number of features that were essential to a web interface for Git. At
this point, that's no longer the case (although it still has fewer features
than Hub the extra Hub features are mainly project management features like
bug trackers, wiki, webpage hosting, etc). Also, since Hub has such a huge
presence in the community, hosting on github.com gives a project access to
things like TravisCI, ReadTheDocs, and more. Not all of those additional
tools have Lab support.

--Greg