[sword-devel] RC - odd bug, diatheke, lookup, probably engine rather than utilities.

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Thu Nov 2 19:40:20 MST 2017

OK, I can't blame Peter anymore since Greg also found the '2's.  :)

So, I hunted this one down.  Odd problem...

We 'fixed' a bug which was incorrectly checking for file open errors.
We were already sending the error code to logError when there was an error.

Well, we now detect file open errors occasionally.  Sometimes we don't
care and sometimes we do.  I've done '2' things to fix the problem.

1) changed the output to something more informative: "Failed to open
file %s. errno: %d"

2) changed the log level to debug.

If you're interested in the details (and Peter might want to be here).
When creating a SWModule against a remote repository, we only have the
.conf file, not the actual module, so we won't find the actual data
files.  This is fine and expected.  This is why Greg was getting the '2'
output using installmgr.  He was working with remote repositories.

Why Peter was getting the error on examples/cmdline/lookup is beyond
me.  That probably means that he has a module installed which actually
can't find one of its data files.

I've added a small but convenient mechanism to set SWORD's log level
from the environment: either by setting the env variable SWORD_LOGLEVEL
or in a [SWORD] section in your sword.conf (usually at /etc/sword.conf)
with parameter LogLevel, e.g.:

[SWORD]

LogLevel=DEBUG

So, Peter, if you'd like to see which files SWORD can't find, you can try:

SWORD_LOGLEVEL=DEBUG ./lookup KJV Gen.1.1

In the future, we might tell SWMgr that it is operating in 'remote' mode
and not to even look for data files, and additionally, delaying part of
the construction of the SWModule instances (i.e., not looking for data
files until actual data access time) would also speed things up and
prevent much of this, and then maybe we could put this back to logError
and might find always tell Peter he has missing data files :)

But, for today, this is better than the 1.7.x branch which had a flat
out bug in the way it was testing for errors, and now that the bug is
fixed, 'errors' are going to logDebug for now.  And now you can more
easily set SWORD's log level.

Troy