[sword-devel] Catholic and Catholic2 versification

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Fri Jun 9 10:33:31 MST 2017

I’d like to have Troy and Peter’s guidance on this. It is both a software and a module management issue. Back in the day, we knew this was likely to happen.

I’m still gathering stats. It is a slow process. I think it should help inform a decision. The upshot is that there are thousands of downloads of these three modules since they have been introduced. Some are more popular than others. Details to follow.

The question is how to go forward. One way is to break backward compatibility. The other is to try to create a reasonable migration path. (Which is what I recommend.)

From an engineering perspective, we can have any number of versifications in the engine and they can have any name. However, we’ve been reluctant to add versifications, especially if they are one offs. So far versification names are a blend of A-Za-z0-9, I don’t know if there are other restrictions. It seems to follow C variable naming restrictions.

Things to consider when updating a module’s conf.
MinimumVersion. When we add a new versification, it is tied to a particular release. This means that new module potentially won’t be available until the SWORD engine is released (any day now….) and the front-end is updated.

Obsoletes. For a module to obsolete another, it needs a different [Name] and have Obsoletes. It probably should have a different Description (old JSword bug, long since fixed, doesn’t like it when two modules have the same Description).

Versification. It should give the appropriate v11n.

DM