[sword-devel] NASB

TS outofthecube at icloud.com
Fri Feb 24 14:22:53 MST 2017

From what I can tell, a member named Kahunapule Michael Johnson seems to be able to already create a NASB Sword module.

This is according to his post here and from last year as well.
http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/2017-January/044041.html

I don’t quite understand why his posts keep getting ignored.

He seems to have been in contact with the Lockman Foundation, but for some reason thinks or thought that the NASB Sword module would be for free.

From what I understand from the forum discussions, in order for the NASB Sword module to be released, it would have to be a commercial module. Part of this means that it would obtainable through paying for it. So, the Lockman Foundation or Crosswire or some other entity would then host it on their website which allow for it to be downloaded only after paying for it. I’m guessing that a password would be provided to unlock the module.

Can anyone tell me why Johnson's work is not being used? Generally speaking, could not Michael send it to Greg, Greg review it, and then if it passes, it be acceptable for release?

In addition to this, Greg himself already seems to have the work done in order to create the module. It seems that the real question is, does it work with all the major SWORD/JSword frontends? DM Smith confirmed last year that it worked with JSword and released a beta of BibleDesktop which supported it as well. The only two problems left (it possibly seems at least) based on DM Smith’s email are:

1) Does the Sword engine support having the lex as a single module (which is apparently a requirement from the Lockman foundation)? This would mean, for example, that Strong’s would have “G” (Greek) and “H” (Hebrew”) both as “keys”. (I’m guessing having more than one key is the problem or the order of the keys is? Would having them in the same module be a problem? Would having two different keys be a problem or would the order of “G” and then “H” be a problem?)

2) Does the text display the same on BibleDesktop, SwordWeb and The SWORD Project for Windows? Apparently there’s a word which is accented differently?

The writing on the mailing list regarding the NASB is quite convoluted. I think it’s important though for Matt Zabojnik to know that it’s possible that he doesn’t need to make a new module. He may instead be able to just coordinate and or facilitate things between Greg and Kahunapule Michael Johnson as I wrote above. They both have working modules from what I can tell.

I also do apologize if I’m offending or mis-representing anyone. I’m trying to distill the current situation of the NASB Sword module into its essentials.

-TS