[sword-devel] NASB

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 22 01:46:43 MST 2017

The internet is rife with plagiarised works that are posted online without
any provenance!

It's important to CrossWire that each of our modules has a provenance for
its source text which must be one that is hosted by a reputable agency with
a clearly demonstrated direct interest in the work.

An undocumented trail of copies of copies of copies of what might or might
not be an accurate digitisation of a published Bible translation is
unacceptable.

Even before they changed the internal format of their modules, CrossWire
eschewed making SWORD modules from the text that could formerly be extracted
by cunning means from e-Sword modules.
One good reason for this is that there's an "All rights reserved" notice on
the e-Sword site that applies to everything they distribute, whether or not
the module purports to represent a work that's copyright and even if it's
known to be PD.

CrossWire will never distribute a module made from Zefania XML as source, or
one made from text cracked from an e-Sword module, or one scraped from a
file-sharing service.

NB. Distribution permissions must be obtained in writing and formally lodged
with CrossWire.
A phone conversation or even an email thread is not adequate proof.

There are more details about these matters in our developers' wiki.

Best regards,

David