[sword-devel] ESV modules and Tyndale House

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 8 10:58:12 MST 2017

The ESV module on CrossWire Main is based on the Crossway Bibles 2001
Version.

Our friends at Tyndale House (STEP Bible) have distribution rights for their
own ESV module (Tyndale House Edition - complete with Strongs numbers) and
this is based on the Crossway Bibles 2011 Version.

I feel that we ought to do something to distinguish the two ESV modules more
clearly to show by their names that they are based on different published
versions from Crossway.

e.g. Rename our older module to ESV2001, etc.

What advice do you have?

Further thoughts:

It would make sense for Tyndale House to create and maintain a proper
modules repository for those they have made in-house and for which they have
secured distribution rights independently. If this could be done
successfully, then we could add their repository to our Master Repositories
List.

Currently their modules can for the most part be readily installed directly
into STEP Bible.
Installing them into other JSword front-ends may require a degree of user
knowledge and actions.
Installing them into some SWORD front-ends may require even more.

I am in regular contact with the STEP Bible Development Team, so your input
can be readily conveyed to them by private email if that's deemed necessary.
And they are members of this mailing list too.

Best regards,

David