[sword-devel] Formal proposal for new filter

David Haslam dfhdfh at protonmail.com
Sat Dec 30 09:32:03 MST 2017

Dear all,

I wish to propose a new SWORD filter.

The idea is to provide a very simple mechanism in SWORD to hide or display specified markers.

Example use:
The OSIS files hosted by [openscripture/morphhb](https://github.com/openscriptures/morphhb) could be converted to replace each solidus in the Hebrew text to the following XML element.

<milestone type="x-mss" marker="/" />

NB. The type attribute here is merely my own abbreviation for "morpheme segment separator".
The filter behaviour should not depend on the type attribute.

We already have something like this in SWORD.
When the KJV module switches from VPL to paragraphs, the Pilcrow signs disappear.
They are coded as milestone markers.

We could generalise the concept by having a filter called
GlobalOptionFilter=OSISMilestoneMarkers

Who knows how many further good uses it might find?

Best regards,

David