[sword-devel] Names, proper and geographic

David Haslam dfhdfh at protonmail.com
Tue Dec 19 12:12:19 MST 2017

My intention in marking up the names (whether persons or geographic) in the DC books for the KJVA module
is such that SWORD and JSword developers have something to test should they like the idea.

I'd like to see front-ends such as Xiphos and PocketSword include a UI options to toggle how such names are displayed.

The simplest way for other than Far East Asian scripts (such as Chinese, Korean, Japanese) would be to show marked names in bold when the option is selected.
For all fonts that include a bold typeface, this would be ideal in the sense that it would not interfere with the existing feature to display the Words of Christ in red.

USFM 3.0 now supports \png_...\png* as well as \pn_...\pn*
The former is intended for geographic names, the latter is for non-geographic names (which for the most part are persons or person groups).
It should be recognised that there are several further classes of names in the Bible and related literature than merely these two broad sweep categories.

In OSIS, the name element can clearly have type and subType attributes as these are allowed for all XML elements.
It would make sense that for a name with type="person" a further attribute should be sex with "male" or "female" as the expected values.
There are lots more ideas that I've begun to put down in my notes.

btw. In case your weren't aware, CrossWire has its own CR edition of the OSIS 2.1.1 schema.
This is maintained by DM Smith and can be downloaded via the link in the relevant page in our wiki.

I've also communicated some of my suggestions to Jeff Klassen at ICAP, so I hope these will be well considered for USFM 3.1 or later.

As of USFM 3.0, the undocumented markers \addpn_...\addpn* are now deprecated.
I understand that this marker pair was originally introduced to provide dotted underline in Unified CJK characters.

Best regards,

David