[sword-devel] encoding of word emphasis

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Thu Aug 17 01:12:49 MST 2017

Dear all,

I am just now looking at a OSIS file of a new and very interesting
German NT translation (fully encoded with strongs and morphology among
other highlights). The publisher has produced the file and setr it free
under CC (by-na-nd).

Unfortunately the file does not validate - and the reason is a
systematic wrong encoding of emphasized words - words which in the
Greek by way of word choice or word order are stressed but where this
does not become immediately obvious in the German. The publisher has
used <hi type="italic> for that. He could of course have used <hi type=
"emphasis">, but that is only by-the-by and would have caused the same
problem. The problem is that the hi tag is currently nested in <w> tags
- and the OSIS specification does not allow this. An example is here:

w lemma="strong:G0846" morph="robinson:P-NSM" src="10"><hi
type="italic">er</hi></w>

Should I simply advise the publisher to reverse the order of nesting or
is the better way of encoding it altogether?

Many thanks for all shared wisdom!

Peter