[sword-devel] Lucene search index and Coptic ?

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 06:57:48 MST 2017

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 3:59 AM, David Haslam <dfhmch at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Even if Troy's good friends don't use the Lucene index for their work on
> Coptic manuscripts, that's no reason not to pursue this issue in more
> detail.
>
> The *Coptic* block *2C80..2CFF* was added with *Unicode 4.1* which was
> released in March 2005.

The Lucene compatibility we aim for, according to DM earlier in this
thread, is Lucene 1.9.1. That version was released in March of 2006, so
it's definitely feasible that it might not support Unicode 4.1. That would
depend on what Lucene's policy is for updating existing release branches
with new Unicode versions and support.

CLucene is notoriously far behind even what Lucene offers (CLucene is,
essentially, abandonware at this point) supporting only up to something
like Lucene 2.3 at the latest. But probably lagging behind in things like
individual language and script support.

For an additional data point you might try using BibleDesktop's Lucene
support. That, at least, uses the upstream Lucene instead of CLucene and
stands a chance of having a newer set of script support.

--Greg