[sword-devel] How do you make the Sword framework work in 64bit mode? (My compiler is giving me hundreds of warnings.)
outofthecube at icloud.com
Tue Oct 25 01:09:39 MST 2016
Thank you! For the codebase that you updated, is there somewhere that I can download it to see the changes?
Xcode is giving me warnings, not errors, so it is technically compiling ok in that regard. (However, that does not necessarily mean that it’s ok to compile things that way.)
Manfred and Jaak both wrote earlier in this thread regarding how it runs on Mac and Linux. There’s issues in both cases.
The last official release of PocketSword was not compiled for 64-bit as far as I can tell from the download on the website for it. The project’s setting is set for 32-bit only, and not for 64-bit, though I could be mistaken.
Your welcome reg. the bug report.
> On Oct 23, 2016, at 1:44 AM, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:
> Dear TS,
> Thank you for the spreadsheet. I've had a review of the implicit cast warning and determined where the casts were safe and added explicit casts. This should remove most of these warnings for you. Have you actually had a problem compiling SWORD for 64bit or were just concerned about warnings? Manfred and Nic should be able to answer better, but I'm quite sure we've been running 64bit on OSX for quite some time; not sure about iOS.
> Thanks also for the report on the missing  in the delete in swld.
> You should have better results with svn HEAD. Please keep us posted.
> On 10/19/2016 12:58 PM, TS wrote:
>> Hi Peter, thank you for your help in this. I made the following for you and anyone else interested. I hope it’ll help you better identify and understand the warnings and/or type of warnings that we are seeing. I’m not really that familiar with how clang and llvm nor autotools works so I don’t know what changes to suggest so this is the next best thing that I thought of. (Perhaps it is something I should investigate…?)
>> In order to create the numeric breakdown that I posted earlier, I copied and pasted the warnings Xcode gave me into a spreadsheet and sorted the data. Here is a copy of the final spreadsheet that was done:
>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1472406/XCode%20Warnings.ods <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1472406/XCode%20Warnings.ods>
>> On the left columns, I’ve used formulas to label which are warnings occurring in a Sword file or CLucene file. Whatever is not one of those is something else, but those are a minor amount in comparison and I think are PocketSword files unrelated to the Sword framework files.
>> There’s also 3 warnings which are not 64-bit related which I’ve marked in yellow and that I already know about.
>> On the right side of the sheet, I separated out the file locations and their matching warnings into separate columns.
>> So, overall, this should give you an organized list of the warnings that Xcode gives providing the file name and the warning. Next to the file names are numbers. The first number is the row number in which the error occurs and then the second number is the number of spaces from the left that the warning is at. (Tabs/indents seem to count as one space)
>> I kept it as an OpenOffice doc in order to preserve the formulas I used to sort the errors. It should help you to organize and sort the data if you so desire. If you can’t open it though, just let me know and I can save it in a different format and etc.
>> Thank you,
>>> On Oct 19, 2016, at 2:44 AM, Peter Von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net <mailto:refdoc at gmx.net>> wrote:
>>>> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 19. Oktober 2016 um 09:24 Uhr
>>>> Von: "Manfred Bergmann" <manfred.bergmann at me.com <mailto:manfred.bergmann at me.com>>b. Is it possible that
>>>> Per default Xcode uses the C compiler of LLVM.
>>> I have tried compiling with clang/llvm on Linux just now, but likely made a few/lot mistakes....
>>> CC=clang ./configure
>>> produced a few (less than 10) warnings re string/char conversions at one point, in one function only but worked as such. Not tried the result.
>>> CC=clang++ ./configure
>>> produced the same warnings but then failed at the linking stage.
>>> But the config.log had still ample references to gcc so I am not sure if this was really the right approach. Can you suggest how to change the compiler properly within the autotools setup?
>>> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org <mailto:sword-devel at crosswire.org>
>>> http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel <http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel>
>>> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page
>> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org <mailto:sword-devel at crosswire.org>
>> http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel <http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel>
>> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page
> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the sword-devel