[sword-devel] Confusing semantics for FileMgr::existsFile() and FileMgr::existsDir()

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sun Oct 23 01:50:25 MST 2016

Thanks for the suggestion Jaak.  While I understand your concern,
testing for readability on OSs which support such is ancillary to the
purpose of the call.  The purpose of the call is the see if a file or
directory exists.  When the engine makes these checks, it typically is
about to do something with the file or directory if it does exists and
thus we added an extra check for readability, i.e., if it does exists
and isn't readable to us, it might as well not exist, for our purposes.
99.99% of the checks with either result in the file existing or not
existing.  It should be a very rare cases where a SWORD file or folder
is found, but we don't have read access to it.  I feel that changing the
name to isReadable is counter intuitive to the purpose of the call.

But I do appreciate your suggestion,

Troy