[sword-devel] OSIS to USFM conversion?

Michael H cmahte at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 15:39:40 MST 2016

Hi Matej,

There is an OSIS2USFM python script on github, but a quick glance suggests
it is built for a specific purpose and did not try to understand the
complete OSIS or USFM specifications. However, If you do it yourself, that
might be a place to start.

OSIS and USFM have similar purposes, but not all things possible in OSIS
can be described well in USFM, and there are things generally included in
USFM projects that OSIS has no real specification to cover.

I do this sort of thing and I have a crazy method I use to accomplish the
conversion, but it isn't something I can say here is a converter script
...  It involves jedit macros I generate per project, then a spreadsheet
program.

If you need a one time conversion, I'd be happy to look at your OSIS, then
suggest something (either a completed SFM package or describe the what
needs to happen in the OSIS before that's easy/possible.) If you are
looking to be able to manage across the layers.

When undergoing these kinds of conversions, our ministry rule is that 2
people use 2 wildly varying methods indpendently, then we look at the
resulting USFM until it matches exactly. You are far less likely to have
spaces, words, sections go missing when you do the conversion twice by
different methods and check the conversions against each other.