[sword-devel] CrossWire's KJV

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 1 03:42:28 MST 2016

I sent the following to DM earlier today, and I may as well share it, since
the point can be generalised.

Subject: Klopsch

A first edition of a work isn't necessarily the most definitive.
Consider Calvin's Institutes for a very pronounced example.

We ought to consider the possibility that second or later editions of his
Red Letter Bible had revisions correcting at least such things as printers
errors in the first. Maybe even more?

It was only 16 years between the Klopsch 1901 & the Old Scofield 1917 Bible.
Did they ever meet? An intriguing possibility.

I'm therefore not so convinced that Klopsch 1901 should be the definitive
reference standard for red letter markup in our KJV module. Certainly, we
should take note of the differences, but the Scofield may be more definitive
of the mature considerations from reader feedback after 1901.

The period in view is commensurate with how long CrossWire has had a KJV
module, a century later.

Thoughts?

Best regards,

David