[sword-devel] CORS API

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Tue Dec 27 11:47:43 MST 2016

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your ideas.  I'm interested to hear a little about the use
cases you are targeting.  Are you trying to server offline browser users
in general, or do you have a specific case you have in mind?

The background here is that we typically don't encourage transferring
data from our format to another.  Though we've accumulated a large
library of works and that, in itself, is useful to other engineer, we
don't curate any of these individual modules and simply have done the
work to track down each authoritative source, get permission for
distribution and use as openly as can be obtained from their curator,
and then to convert their primary data source into our module format.
This doesn't pass along any rights for use to other projects outside
those of CrossWire, and also doesn't provide a primary source for any of
this material-- which an lead to multiplied data conversion issues when
moving on to a second jump from the primary source.

We have a C++ engine which runs on most any device you might wish to
support (including web server)-- with many bindings for most popular
scripting languages, and also a native Java engine as well.  Both of
these can be used to discover, install, and access our entire library,
if you'd like to start a new application in our community or contribute
to an existing solution.

Two web applications which use our engines and might interest you are:

http://crosswire.org/study

http://stepbible.org

Hope this helps.  Welcome!  Looking forward to sharing in service together,

Troy