[sword-devel] Announcing the release of pysword 0.2.1

Tomas Groth tomasgroth at yahoo.dk
Sat Apr 9 13:48:54 MST 2016

Hi Matěj,

> From: Matěj Cepl <mcepl at cepl.eu>

> On 2016-04-09, 08:03 GMT, Tomas Groth wrote:>>  PySword is a native Python reader of the SWORD Project Bible
>>  Modules. It is not a wrapper around libsword, it is completely
>>  written in Python and works with both Python 2 and 3.
>
> With a all due respect: what it is good for? I defended some
> time ago SwordJS because it was intended to run inside of
> browsers (and Firefox OS specifically), but what is the
> advantage of pure-Python library when we have perfectly working
> and supported Python bindings in tree?

That is of course an entirely valid question, and the short answer is that PySword is the perfect solution to a problem I face.

The problem is that in open source project I contribute to (OpenLP - which is written python), I wanted to make it possible to import SWORD bible modules. OpenLP is cross-platform and runs on Linux, Windows and Mac. While libsword is cross-platform too, the python-bindings isn't included in debian/ubuntu currently, and building and bundling libsword + python bindings for windows + mac (and keeping it updated) is a fairly big task for a import feature that not all OpenLP will use.
Enter PySword... The code has been floating around on github since 2008 and I just cleaned it up a bit and added parsing of conf-files. It is very lightweight compared to getting/building libsword + python-binding, and thus fits my needs better. And in the spirit of open source I'm sharing the code.

Besides that, the old argument of providing developers/users with choices also applies ;)

> Matěj>

Best regards,
Tomas