[sword-devel] Semantic problem: real module names vs. Abbreviation=XYZ

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Tue Sep 1 15:07:17 MST 2015

On Tue, 2015-09-01 at 16:47 -0400, David

> So as a new frontend developer I'm confused. What is the purpose of
> the Abbreviation conf entry and why world I want to use it over
> module name which should already be shortish (at least compared to
> title)?

If we could get it right then the Abbreviation conf entry will be
something entirely independent of the module ID aka ModuleName entry.

ModuleName entries - other than for English texts - do not really
reflect the names people give to their Bibles. I kind of got used to
GerLuther1912, but my Iranian friends have a bit of a problem with
FarFLB and would prefer Tafsiri or even تفسیری.

Now with the addition of Kahunapule's repo and the 700 Bibles in there
the problem has become a universally accepted one, which is nice as it
was one for a long time ago, but took time to register in the more
anglocentric we have here.

At the moment we have endless foul compromises in our ModuleName
section and satisfy neither the need for a unique module identifier
across a growing number of repos with 1000s of texts nor do we really
satisfy the need of users to recognise texts for what they are, without
weird additions.

Does this make sense?

Peter