[sword-devel] Semantic problem: real module names vs. Abbreviation=XYZ

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Sep 1 14:59:04 MST 2015

> On Sep 1, 2015, at 4:47 PM, David Judah's Shadow Blue <yudahsshadow at gmx.com> wrote:
>

> So as a new frontend developer I'm confused. What is the purpose of the Abbreviation conf entry and why world I want to use it over module name which should already be shortish (at least compared to title)?

The [name] of the module is severely limited. When lowercased it is used as the name of a folder where the data files are kept and the name of the conf file. And in upper case it is used as the name of a zip. It is further constrained by an original definition of a windows INI file. As such, it is limited to upper and lower case a-z and to digits 0-9. Because of this usage, it has to be unique without regard to case in a repository.

We were also having a tradition of module names that had non-English language designation as the prefix, such as Ger for German. Probably should have been prefixed w De or not at all.

This is not appropriate for languages that use other scripts or have lots of accents. Peter proposed Abbreviation as a means of providing what the very short, well known, internationalized name that is more appropriate.

Hope this makes sense.

In Him,
	DM