[sword-devel] Unified module lists

Jaak Ristioja jaak at ristioja.ee
Fri Jul 31 07:53:59 MST 2015

Hi!

On 31.07.2015 16:59, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> A user on sword-support asked this for unified module lists once
> again and I do think he is right:
>
> Right now we lists with modules per repository. If you happen to
> have a first language only served in Xiphos or IBT (or now
> hopefully soon the new eBible repo) you will think on starting an
> application that there are no modules available for you.
>
> The only application which has this solved is And Bible.
>
> The argument used in previous discussions was that different repos
> might use the same module identifier as other repos and clashes
> can cause grief. Yes they could. But there are also several good
> mechanisms we could use to make this a non-issue.
>
> 1) Choice of sane defaults 2) user-pinnable preferences
>
> re  1)
>
> a) A simple decent default could be CrossWire has always preference
> - unless the user overrules this b) Another simple default could be
> that the highest versionnumber always wins out.
>
> Suggestions, ideas?

Use the repository identifier together with the module identifier, if
required.

Am I correct that what you are currently trying to work around is how
Sword stores the modules on disk? Because I don't see any big
obstacles to communicating the repository information to the user if
multiple repositories have modules with the same identifier. For
example, Portage on Gentoo Linux has recently been using the
::repository suffix for ebuilds.

I suggest looking into how other multiple-repository package managers
have solved this and not reinvent the wheel. :)

Blessings!