[sword-devel] Announcing the release of pysword 0.2.0

Tomas Groth tomasgroth at yahoo.dk
Mon Dec 28 11:57:53 MST 2015

Hi all,

I'm happy to announce the release of pysword 0.2.0!

Pysword is a native Python reader of the SWORD Project Bible Modules. It is not a wrapper around libsword, it is completely written in Python.

Key features:
* Read SWORD bibles (not commentaries etc.)
* Detection of local available modules (bibles).
* Supports all known SWORD module formats (ztext, ztext4, rawtext, rawtext4)
* Read from zipped modules from http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModDisp.jsp?modType=Bibles
* Clean text of OSIS, GBF or ThML tags.
* Supports both python 2 and 3 (tested with 2.7 and 3.4)

Pysword is based on code that has been floating around on github since 2008 and has multiple authors. The current version should work for reading most (all?) SWORD bible modules, but bugs must surely exists. Feel free to provide feedback!

Pysword can be installed using pip or easy_install from PyPI: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pysword/

For more information, examples and source code see: https://gitlab.com/tgc-dk/pysword

My main motivation for working on pysword is that I'm a developer on OpenLP (http://openlp.org), and I'm working on a bible importer for SWORD bible modules. I hope it can be useful for others as well.

Best regards,
Tomas (tgc in irc)