[sword-devel] Xiphos 4.0.3

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Tue Aug 18 02:01:41 MST 2015

On 2015-08-17, 21:41 GMT, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> On 08/17/2015 04:44 PM, Matěj Cepl wrote:
>> I still don’t know what's the advantage of lying about the API version.
> I suppose it's a small example of a much larger problem.  If GTK3 is
> updated from 3.14.15 to 3.14.16, we shouldn't induce a rebuild of all
> GTK3 applications.  Current /usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0.1400.15 shows
> SONAME of "libgtk-3.so.0" which needn't change any application's ability
> to link dynamically.

Sure, correct SONAME are great and sacred mystery to which
I don’t understand much (although I am not C/C++ programmer, so
I am not ashamed of it).  However, what I see in your example is
that you have some need of learning as well ... ABI version is
major.minor and with the same ABI version the ABI should be
stable. So, in your case with change from 3.14.15 and 3.14.16
there should be the same ABI and no need to rebuild. If you
change ABI on every third digit release, then there is something
very wrong with biblesync, I am afraid. And that should be done
by your CMake stuff, no need for packagers to do some weird
magic about ABI versions.

However, I really don’t understand the stuff that much so I may
be very wrong.

Blessings,

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz

Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or
that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the
tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields
to war fever must realise that once the signal is given, he is no
longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and
uncontrollable events.
    -- Winston Churchill, 1930