[sword-devel] eBible.org repository refresh done

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Sat Aug 15 21:35:45 MST 2015

On 08/15/2015 10:32 PM, DM Smith wrote:
> As a matter of style, Description should be the “title” of the work,
> not an actual description. That is, it should be short.
As a reference, modules' Description in Crosswire main repo:
250 modules length > 32 (roughly half of those are Freedict Abcdef to
Uvwxyz Glossary)
48 length > 48
12 length > 64

By comparison, eBible has:
270 length > 64
121 length > 80
54 length > 96
30 length > 112
20 length > 128
> The [name] of the module should be the appropriate english
> abbreviation for the module. It has to be ASCII letters and digits.
> We’ve recently added Abbreviation as a means of providing
> internationalization of the name. I don’t know how many applications
> show the Abbreviation instead of the module name.
I'm of two minds about this.  Certainly it is straightforward to give a
direct and proper name.

However, the longer we go with more modules produced, the more likely it
is that name collisions will occur, especially unnoticed ones in
separate repos, when selecting names from a limited 3- or 4-letter
combinatoric.  eBible has its own BBE, ASV, KJV, and WEB; how shall
these be named, if not to distinguish them from previously-created
modules in other repos, including Crosswire main?  This is exactly a use
of Abbreviation (e.g. eng_kjv2006 => KJV) that provides the necessary
distinction.  In Xiphos, module manager provides both names (in the form
"Abbrev (RealName)") but elsewhere displays just abbreviation,
especially always-visible tabs.  How do others implement this?

Making the module name be rather precise gives a fair bit of value, as
long as Abbreviation support is present and works well.  Since adding
Abbreviation support to Xiphos, I've noticed that IBT modules use
Abbreviation particularly well, though they are especially for i18n
purposes (see attached mod.mgr screenshot), not for simplified naming of
a complex-named module.  So I see some reason why "engwmb2015" with
abbreviation "WMBB" can be seen as appropriate.

But the big question is indeed whether enough applications support
Abbreviation.  Xiphos has it since 4.0.1, (newest) BibleDesktop has it,
xulsword has for a long time.  Do any others?  If not, I would say that
we have a problem.
> Many applications in laying out their UI assume that the name is very
> short.
That is very true. For example, Xiphos expects module names or
abbreviations to fit usefully into the tabs of its interface.

DM, you should update the Choosing a Sword Program wiki page when your
new BD is released, to include mentions of things like Abbreviation support.