[sword-devel] eBible.org repository refresh done

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sat Aug 15 19:32:19 MST 2015

Haven’t had time until today to look closely at the repository. I’ve spent most of the day working with it in Bible Desktop.

Bible Desktop 1.6, the latest release, does not handle zips that have directory entries. The next release (any day now, for a real long time) does not have this problem. This means that none of the modules are available to users of Bible Desktop.

I imagine that AndBible doesn’t have this problem.

The first few modules I tried didn’t have zips at all. E.g. any of the dictionaries. This provides an unpleasant user experience in BibleDesktop as it does a HEAD on the zip to get its size.

As a matter of style, Description should be the “title” of the work, not an actual description. That is, it should be short. Here is one of the long ones:
The World Messianic Bible British Edition is a Public Domain translation of the Holy Bible into modern English as spoken among Messianic Jews outside of the United States of America. This translation is also known as the World English Bible: British Messianic Edition.
This probably should be
World Messianic Bible British Edition

The content is more appropriate in the About field.

The [name] of the module should be the appropriate english abbreviation for the module. It has to be ASCII letters and digits. We’ve recently added Abbreviation as a means of providing internationalization of the name. I don’t know how many applications show the Abbreviation instead of the module name.

The same module above has
[engwmbb2015]
Abbreviation=WMBB

WBBM should be what is in the []. The value of what you provide is that their is very unlikely to be collisions with other repositories.

Many applications in laying out their UI assume that the name is very short.

I also noticed, but didn’t take note of the place, that ShortCopyright=…. was at the end of the About field in several modules.

Hope this helps.

In His Service,
	DM