[sword-devel] Xiphos 4.0.2

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Apr 23 05:53:22 MST 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 06:52:46PM -0400, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
>    A serious memory management error was discovered today in Xiphos'
>    editor.
>    It's bad enough that I've fixed the error and released 4.0.2.
>    [1]https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnomesword/files/Xiphos/4.0.2/
>
> References
>
>    1. https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnomesword/files/Xiphos/4.0.2/

Dumb question for ya...

As per previous mailings I've sent, I have Xiphos 4.0.2 building
in my Centos-7 system, and that's fine for personal use.

I note that there is also a .spec file available and thought I'd try
to build a binary RPM for it too.

But I'm pretty ignorant of how to do that, so I've googled for how to
build an RPM binary from source and found a number of hits.

trouble is, pretty much all of them gives procedures that aren't the
same, so its hard to learn from them, at least for this specific package.

Wondering if Karl--or anyone else here who knows more than I do (which
wouldn't take much...)--could give me some helpful hints for how to do this.
like, e.g. if the source tree that results from unpacking the tar archive
is suitable for use with rpmbuild, and if so where the spec file should
go in that tree. alternatively, any other guidance would be appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Fred

                        The Lord is like a strong tower.