[sword-devel] Module submission

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Tue Oct 28 11:05:45 MST 2014

On 10/28/2014 01:38 PM, David Haslam wrote:
> Obviously I had already refreshed the beta repo in order to get to that stage.
Well, OK,...you didn't say at what stage you were, when you couldn't
find it.  I thought you meant you couldn't find it in the set of modules
offered in the repo.  And there was an old Lithuanian module in the repo
already, so it would have been seen pre-refresh.

The probable explanation: Xiphos' mod.mgr runs asynchronously
(non-modally) with respect to the rest of Xiphos, so you can keep
working in the main window while the mod.mgr downloads or indexes piles
of stuff, things that may take a long time.  As the mod.mgr is closed,
it re-runs the module discovery process for the rest of the program, and
if you tried /right at that interval/ between closing mod.mgr and
opening the sidebar tree to find a new module, it wouldn't appear,
because the last vestige of the mod.mgr is still busy re-discovering
modules and the sidebar tree hasn't been refilled.

Technically, it's a race condition.  In practice, it's so seldom a
problem that nobody has ever cared, since the mod.mgr was changed from
being modal to async in Mar'09 (-r2841).