[sword-devel] buffer compression errors seen during mkfastmod

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Wed Nov 26 08:16:32 MST 2014

Due to updating my Sword world to svn head and finding that Xapian is
taking CLucene's place, I needed to regenerate all my indexes.  So I
sicced a little mkfastmod pipeline on the problem.  In the course of
this, I encountered a pile of modules that suffer from a decompression
error induced when there was still some sort of buffer flush error in
module generation that Troy fixed probably 3 or more years ago.  The
module list below is the set of modules for which some diagnostic came
out of mkfastmod like "Error reading ulBuffNum".  Any likelihood of
these modules being re-built so that modern module output won't have the
problem?

For anyone who cares, this is how I dealt with "re-index my world":

cd ~/.sword && grep '^\[' * | tr -d '\r' | cut -f2 -d[ | tr -d ] | egrep
-v 'AbbottSmith|AUGUSTINE|BosworthToller|ZhEnglish|Globals' | while read
mod ; do echo $mod ; time mkfastmod $mod ; done

The egrep(1) is needed because those modules cause mkfastmod to spin.
Also, for bash users, I suggest a $TIMEFORMAT value of '%3Uu %3Ss %3lR
%P%%' because the result is a nice concise output much like csh.  "time
mkfastmod DDP" took awesome effort:
212.904u 44.123s 12m32.260s 34.16%; EarlyFathers, 256.948u 7.390s
4m41.893s 93.77%.

ArmEastern
Autenrieth
Bela