[sword-devel] Building Python binding to Sword on Windows returns exit code 1

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri May 9 17:16:17 MST 2014

Timothy,

I maintain the Python bindings, but we only officially support them through
Swig on Linux and other places and only really through the CMake build
project (and Troy also tries to keep them building through autotools as
well). And while there have been abortive attempts to get Swig C# bindings
going, they never really got off the ground and have since been supplanted
by a newly minted (last month) native C# wrapper that uses C# specific
idioms for its wrapping.

I say all of that so that I can say: the project file you're starting from
is unmanitained. Indeed, until just now, I had no idea it even existed -
and I maintain our Swig bindings! However, I do know that our CMake file
does successfully build the bindings in Linux and Mac OS X. However, our
CMake system does not play perfectly well with the VC generator from CMake
and I would be more than happy to work with you towards getting that up and
going in the hopes that success there can translate to a generated solution
file that will do the correct magic.

On the other hand, if you wish to keep on keeping on through the C# project
solution file you're more than welcome to do so, though. It's long out of
date and unmaintained, so feel free to edit, hack, fix, and prod it as much
as you'd like. If you succeed in building, feel free to submit a patch here
and I'll give a go at mainlining it into the repository.

--Greg