[sword-devel] OSIS markup best practice: sanity check

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Fri May 2 07:15:40 MST 2014

On May 2, 2014, at 3:36 AM, John Austin <gpl.programs.info at gmail.com> wrote:

> - There will be a Scope parameter in the .conf file, formatted as an osisID of the specified v11n, which details the books, chapters, and verses that are included in the entire module. The Scope param is the only way to detect which books (etc) are available in a module without first having to install the module, as necessary for some applications.

You must mean osisRef. This would allow "Gen-Rev" and "Gen.1.1-Gen.1.3". The osisIDs for these would be "Gen Exod Lev ... Rev" and "Gen.1.1 Gen.1.2 Gen.1.3", respectively.

Also note that an osisRef has a book order based on the v11n.

Question regarding Scope: Will it include chapter 0 and verse 0. (i.e. presence of headings and introductions)?

For JSword, as Chris noted, we plan to have a sidecar conf for each module that will act as a cache for computed settings and module preferences/settings (e.g. Cipher, Font). This will be one of them. It is very expensive on a phone to compute an accurate book list.

We've been discussing having a separate BookScope in addition, as we need to know the list of books independently of the verses that the books contain. This would merely be an optimization of the Scope.

I'd like to know more how you envision a frontend using the Scope field prior to installing the module.

In Him,
	DM