[sword-devel] BibleSync library -- any takers to integrate into your app?

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Mon Jun 2 10:14:02 MST 2014

On 06/02/2014 12:57 PM, Teus Benschop wrote:
> 1. There may be team where all members would display the same passage.
> In our team each translator works individually on his or her own passage.
> Does BibleSync also support a mechanism where the apps that scroll in
> parallel can be specified?

The default listen policy at the moment is simply "listen to the first
beacon-identified Speaker, ignore others initially."  The app above the
BibleSync library is responsible for any deeper analysis and more
precise choice, presumably on user input.  In Xiphos' Prefs dialog,
there is a list of Speakers already known, with checkboxes for those
being heard, along with radio buttons for listen selective/all/none.

So I would say that your team subset in need of mutual navigation is
merely the users' checkbox choices of those to whom you listen.
Alternatively, each team subset could be using BibleSync with their own
subset-specific passphrase, in which case The Other Subset's passphrase
represents a simple mismatch, ignored as such.

> 2. The dbus support. Bibledit-Xiphos uses the dbus mechanism to cause
> Xiphos to focus a passage. Is there any other app that uses this
> mechanism?
We have a small standalone utility, xiphos-nav, part of our regular
package in Linux builds, intended to be installed as the handler of
sword:// URLs, which navigates Xiphos that way.  I'm unaware of any
other examples.