[sword-devel] SWORD + Cordova

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Jul 21 08:07:06 MST 2014

Cordova is an attempt to create a JavaScript+HTML+CSS development framework for writing 'native' cross-platform apps. They do this essentially by creating a native app with a single HTML display component, then running your JavaScript inside that component. You can read their tech specs for more detail, but they basically hook to the native HTML component to extend JavaScript to provide a 'plugin' mechanism which allows the creation of new JavaScript libraries which call native code. These plugins expose new JavaScript calls to JavaScript apps and proxy the call over to the native environment. Since each native environment is different, the major cross-platform work is isolated to these plugins. The app itself shouldn't need to change to run on different platforms-- only for user preference.

We've created a SWORD Cordova plugin which currently only proxies to the native Android environment, and a pilot app as a proof of concept, which has been internally dubbed Bishop3. If the SWORD plugin was extended to work on any of the other platforms that Cordova supports, then Bishop3 (or any other JavaScript app using the plugin) should run on that platform as well.

Yes, Cordova is the Apache open source effort of Adobe's PhoneGap. Adobe has the position to use updated Cordova releases as the basis for updated PhoneGap releases, if I understand their position correctly.

Hope this helps,

Troy