[sword-devel] Project "Free Scriptures" started

Matěj Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Wed Feb 26 15:33:08 MST 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-26 at 23:20 +0200, Raoul Snyman wrote:
> It is completely over-engineered and over-complicated. I mean, which is
> better, merging or rebasing? Not even the git fans can agree.

It depends. These are two different tools for two different operations.
E.g., IMNSHO you should merge cleanly rebased branches on the top of
your master.

> People who love git actually love Github, not git.

Some people who love git, not all of them ...
http://luther.ceplovi.cz/git/ (these are my git repos).

And even if it was right, what’s your problem with it? That it improves
communication among contributors, or that it is proprietary (that’s my
problem, thus my own repos, but yes I have github account as well and I
maintain some projects there).

> Let's not forget that the prime example for git, the Linux kernel,
> emails patches around. They don't do fancy merge requests or use other
> (third party) features.

Prime example of git has not been the Linux kernel for many many years.
Mozilla Firefox OS (and many other their projects, yes, they used to be
100% Mercurial shop) https://github.com/mozilla/ , Gnome
https://git.gnome.org/browse/ , KDE https://projects.kde.org/projects
and XFCE for good measure http://git.xfce.org/, all projects by
Freedesktop http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ , Fedora repos
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ , OpenSUSE
https://gitorious.org/opensuse (and other large projects on Gitorious
https://gitorious.org/projects ). Some of them use email lists for
communicating, some use merge/pull requests.

However, the general trend seems to be quite clear.

Best,

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz

Give your heartache to him. (1Pt 5,7; Mt 11:28-30)