[sword-devel] Project "Free Scriptures" started

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 14:26:22 MST 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Raoul Snyman <raoul at snyman.info> wrote:

> >Could I ask, please, why do you not like git today? I mean git as it
> >stands in Winter/Early Spring 2014, not some original version?
>
> It is completely over-engineered and over-complicated. I mean, which is
> better, merging or rebasing? Not even the git fans can agree.

I have yet to meet an actual, real-world git user who doesn't employ both,
just for different purposes and in different scenarios. As with anything
that involves a choice, there will be a difference of opinion on when one
is exactly correct and when another is. At least it has the choice.

> People who love git actually love Github, not git. Any tool that requires
> another third party tool (like Github or git-flow) to make it usable is
> missing the point.

I occasionally use Github but not primarily. Most of my git is done at work
and on my own server. I like git because I find it superior to all the
other options I've tried (which is all the ones so far mentioned in this
discussion plus Perforce). I used to find it over-engineered, but then I
understood it and instead I find it perfectly suited for the jobs I employ
it for.

> Let's not forget that the prime example for git, the Linux kernel, emails
> patches around. They don't do fancy merge requests or use other (third
> party) features.

This is not their only workflow pattern. But, for when they do need to use
it, it's available as a built-in option.

--Greg