[sword-devel] What needed to make a SWORD module for OOYLT?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Feb 23 23:27:54 MST 2014

On 2/23/2014 3:43 PM, David "Judahs Shadow" Blue wrote:
> On Friday, February 21, 2014 06:50:13 AM David Haslam wrote:
>> Speaking from observations over the past few years, I think there would
> be
>> little interest in this.
>>
>> Our wiki page for Alternate Versifications is
>> http://crosswire.org/wiki/Alternate_Versification
>>
>> I don't think anyone within CrossWire would be willing to create a new
>> versification scheme for the OOYLT.
>> Even if you made one, I doubt that we would ever include it in the
> SWORD
>> engine.
>
> I disagree, I would think that an original order OT versification would be of
> interest to some Hebrew studies. And further, I'm wondering does V11N
> /really/ have to be a compile time thing? Could the verse managers be re-
> factored to look for a versification in the module directory at run-time
> without breaking ABI/API compatibility?

The original order OT versification is available in the MT versification
system (or, for that matter, the Vulg and LXX versification systems,
depending on your definition of "original").

Someone with an interest in "Hebrew studies" is not likely to find
Young's Literal Translation with KJV versification but a mangled book
structure very useful or interesting.

There is no possibility that we would ever consider adding an OOYLT
versification system to Sword. There's no value in sacrificing system
memory for fringe theories based on numerology.

--Chris