[sword-devel] A call for Python programmers ...

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Mon Dec 29 10:29:17 MST 2014

On Mon, 2014-12-29 at 11:43 -0500, DM Smith wrote:
> Python is a pretty easy language for a programmer to learn. I’ve read a book on how to program in it. There’s a nice tutorial on the python website. But I’ve not done any serious programming in python. Just maintenance and debugging.

I was a co-maintainer of usfm2osis.pl and did significant work on it
(not as much as Chris, but far more than everyone else). I stayed away
from usfm2osis.py as it was far too much Chris' baby. Also Python
appeared too logical to my Perl infested mind. I have now committed my
first change to (adding of -l LANGUAGE option).

It is very well written and neatly done and does its job with near
perfection. I would welcome contributions to it, as long as they are
equally well done.

I think the first task should be to evaluate JIRA's list and close down
as "won't fix" or as otherwise invalid what should not get done. Also
sort feature requests from bugs. I have done now some of this.

New stuff should go first as feature request or bug report into JIRA and
get patches etc attached.

I am happy to act as maintainer + deal with any patches etc until Chris
is back - unless someone more qualified and interested shows interest.

Peter