[sword-devel] Xiphos ....

Barry Drake bdrake at crosswire.org
Sun Aug 10 00:34:01 MST 2014

On 09/08/14 15:55, Greg Hellings wrote:
> What sort of "Lintian" errors?

Sorry Greg ...  It didn't say.  A few days ago, the packages page showed
the submission for Xiphos as having the error.  It did not give specific
details.  Now, that page has been automatically removed because a fix
was not submitted.

I'm very new to packaging, but when I made the experimental package for
the Sword library, the only sure way to build was to use debuilder under
a debian chroot environment.  (under any distro). Debuilder works in a
virtual environment into which you install all dependencies using
apt-get, and the dependencies have to exist as Debian packages in the
repo you are building for.

The process logs all errors including lintian errors and only builds a
submittable package when you've written patches and overrides to fix them.

When I got a completed package, the maintainer (Was it Dimitri?) who
submitted it had to alter the library version number which conflicted
with the existing library.  This has now broken the older library and
led to automatic removal of the older Bibletime package and the only
existing Debian package for Xiphos.  I know some folk think the Debian
packaging process is overly picky.  It's not - it's just very safe!

Regards,        Barry