[sword-devel] Midverse section titles in USFM

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 2 00:49:41 MST 2013

This thread was posted in December 2010, yet nobody seems to have responded
at all.

The question of *midverse titles* has just come to the top of pile again.

*Background*: There are many such occurrences in the USFM files for the *Tok
Pisin* Bible.

e.g. in Genesis 2

\v 4 Long dispela pasin tasol, God i wokim skai na graun na olgeta samting.
\s God i wokim gaden bilong Iden
\p Taim God, Bikpela i mekim kamap skai na graun,
\v 5 i no gat diwai na gras samting i kamap long graun yet, long wanem, em i
no salim ren i kam daun yet. Na i no gat man bilong wokim gaden.

The text on the line with the \p tag is part of verse 4.

Michael Johnson commented: (personal email communication)

That example is exactly what it looks like: a *midverse section header*.
That is not only allowed in USFM and OSIS, it is done in enough translations
that I would say that supporting that feature is mandatory. If SWORD can't
handle that yet, then that sounds like a bug to fix in SWORD.

cf. I'm painfully aware that we still face huge problems even getting
*preverse* content found in USFM right through to work as required in SWORD
front-ends. Though attention is being given to each of the separate steps
along the way, I'm more than anxious that so few of us seem to grasp the
overall picture.

Best regards,

Davi