[sword-devel] Ubuntu Touch Bible app

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Thu Jul 4 11:28:50 MST 2013

Not to insult anyone-- please don't feel insulted...

But what exactly does basing code off of Bibletime instead of SWORD give
you?  Are any of these things worth having in the engine itself?

I have looked at the backend 'wrappers' in Bibletime around SWORD a few
years back and I was disappointed for a number of reasons-- and so as
not to insult anyone-- primarily because they didn't add any value at
all, but only 'shielded' developers from using the engine directly.

I have no idea if this is still the case.  I get the impression that
Bibletime, itself, has been re-written a number of times and I'm
guessing this includes the 'backend' wrappers as well.

My hope is that if there are any features that are usable by multiple
frontend, then we should add these into the engine, if it makes sense.
Again, in an attempt to stop this thread from becoming a defense of the
Bibletime code or a defense of a 'methodology for an API interface
(e.g., stateful vs. stateless container classes) and from degrading into
insulting each other, I have not commented on the quality of the
Bibletime code.  I am simply stating that I don't know what

* solid, additional features *

are gained from using the Bibletime base for starting a new frontend
instead of the SWORD code directly, and if there are any, can we add
these into the engine?

Troy